Choosing foods for diabetics has an important role to maintain blood sugar levels. Diabetic patients can not freely eat food. The reason, if the wrong intake, blood sugar levels can increase. For that, must be known the type of food for diabetics are allowed and not allowed.
Increased blood sugar levels in diabetics can pose an impact on health, such as fatigue, dizziness, nerve damage, kidney failure, heart disease, eye problems, more susceptible to infection and injury, even loss of consciousness or coma.
Diabetics need to be careful when eating food. In addition to treatment, diabetes also needs to be addressed by following a special diet, called medical nutrition therapy. In diabetics, this therapy recommends the consumption of nutritious foods that are low in fat and calories, so that their blood sugar levels remain controlled.
Here is an example of good food choices for people with diabetes:
- Foods made from whole grains or complex carbohydrates, such as brown rice, roasted sweet potatoes, oatmeal, bread, and whole grain cereals.
- Lean meats or skinless chicken.
- Vegetables processed by boiling, steamed, baked, or consumed raw. Good vegetables consumed for diabetics include broccoli and spinach.
- Fresh fruits. If you want to make it juice, you should not add sugar.
- Nuts, including soybeans in the form of steamed tofu, cooked for soup, or pan-fried.
- Low-fat dairy products, such as yogurt and eggs.
- Research shows that the consumption of low-fat yogurt without additional sweeteners can prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Various types of fish, such as tuna, salmon, sardines, and However, avoid fish with high mercury levels, such as tuna.
Foods to Avoid
For most people of Indonesia, not satisfied taste if the dish menu is not equipped with white rice. Yet for diabetics, this type of staple food should be avoided because it contains high levels of sugar compared to other carbohydrate sources.
In addition to white rice, there are several other types of foods that should be avoided if you want to keep blood sugar levels, namely:
- White white bread.
- Food made from wheat flour.
- Vegetables cooked with extra salt, cheese, butter and sauce in large quantities.
- Canned fruits that contain lots of sugar.
- Canned vegetables containing high salt.
- Fatty meat.
- High-fat dairy products.
- Fried foods, such as fried chicken, fried fish, fried bananas, and fries.
- The popcorn is rich in flavor.
- Chicken skin.
If you have diabetes, it is advisable to consume homemade food. That way you can monitor the raw materials and any additional ingredients that will be used in food for your consumption. In addition to selecting jelly foods for diabetics, you are also advised to regularly check blood sugar levels.
Types of blood glucose tests are diverse such as fasting blood glucose test, blood glucose test, hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) test, and oral glucose tolerance test. Consult a doctor to determine which type of blood sugar test fits your condition, along with the right dose of food for your body.
With a healthy diet, exercise, and proper treatment, the blood sugar levels can be more easily controlled so that the risk of complications of diabetes will be lower.